Monday, April 1, 2013

Sprouting Beans

I have recently begun eating predominately raw foods and am discovering fun foods to add to my menu. Sprouted beans are super healthy, easy to make and a great source of protein.
Sprouting releases more of the bean's nutrition and makes them easier to digest.
They are great for adding to salads or as a snack.

I will be sharing my first sprouting adventure...


First I bought 5 kinds of dried organic beans: mung, garbanzo, green lentil, adzuki and French green lentil. These are the best beans for sprouting and they can be sprouted all together. 
I  used about a cup of dried beans.

 


Next, soak the beans in water for 8-12 hours in a sprouting jar.
(one quart mason jar with screen lid can usually be found at a health food store or online)  
Use a 2-1 ratio of water to beans for soaking. 
The beans will grow in size after soaking. Rinse thoroughly.

  


Next, rinse the beans 3 or 4 times twice a day for 3-4 days. 
Be sure to rinse thoroughly and drain completely.
You can keep them on your kitchen counter.

 

Now the fun begins...as you watch them sprout...

 
                                                Day 2                                  Day 3

              They are now ready and can be kept in the mason jar with a solid lid in your refrigerator.
(if some beans do not sprout you can pick them out 
and continue to rinse twice daily until they sprout too)

Eat and Enjoy!


I would love to hear about some of your favorite raw food recipes...





2 comments:

  1. Do you think I could put some cheesecloth in the lid and screw the mason top on without the center?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Someone I know used a piece of the netted bags that lemons or limes come in...anything that makes it easy to rinse them and lets air in...I lovelovelove sprouting beans! Enjoy and let me know how it goes...

      Delete